Fraud & Security—We Can Help You!
If you suspect fraud on your account, please contact us at 888-842-0221 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember: We’ll never ask you for your online password, PIN number or social security number by an unsolicited phone call or email.
How can we help you?
Take advantage of the following products to ensure you are receiving all of the safeguard benefits we offer with your account:
- Zero Liability for unauthorized debit card purchases Learn more here
- CheckArmor® Fraud Protection How it works
- Secure online and mobile banking
- Text Account balance alerts
- Privacy – we will not share or disclose SSN or other private information with third parties
All the safeguards listed above under Personal, PLUS:
- Fraud Prevention Services (additional cost applies) – use these tools to only allow authorized transactions to affect your account:
- How to protect your business from corporate account takeover:
- Educate your employees:
- How to spot phishing scams and imposter email scams
- Best practices for keeping confidential or banking information secure, both within the office, and when emailing
- Question requests that just don’t see right, such as unusual wire or funds transfers requests or invoices
- Use strong passwords
- If possible, use a dedicated, secure workstation for banking or other confidential activity.
- Ensure your anti-virus protection is sufficient and up to date.
- Monitor you accounts daily. If you notice suspicious activity, contact us immediately. Failure to do so could result in you being liable for fraud losses.
- Contact us for more information on keeping your business safe and secure.
- Educate your employees:
How can you help protect yourself?
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." ~Benjamin Franklin
Tips & Tricks for protecting yourself and your money.
River Valley utilizes safeguards to protect you, your account, and your personal information. Practice these tips & tricks to stay safe:
- Never send your account number, password social security number, PIN, or other confidential information by unsecure email or share it with others.
- Use our convenient online or mobile banking to monitor your account frequently. Report any unauthorized or questionable charges to us as soon as possible.
- Public Wi-Fi: Beware of public Wi-Fi or other unsecured connections when using online or mobile banking, paying bills, or performing other secure transactions.
Known Scams and Schemes
Know common schemes and scams used by fraudsters. If your answer is “yes” to any of the following questions, you may be dealing with a scammer:
- Payment by gift card: Is someone or some business requesting that you make payments by gift card?
- Grandparent: has someone called you claiming to be your grandchild who is in jail and needs money?
- Lottery: Have you received an unexpected letter in the mail stating you won a lottery? Are you being asked to cash a check and send back a portion of the funds to pay for taxes or attorney fees?
- Selling Online: Have you recently sold something online, and received an overpayment? Are you being asked to send a portion of that back?
- Computer repair: Have you recently received a pop-up window on your computer stating it is infected with a virus? Even if the ad states it is Microsoft, this is likely a scam.
Check out these other great resources to learn more about fraud prevention and safe online practices:
- Be safe online: Online Safety
- Protecting Kids Online: Protect Your Kids Online
- Learn more about common scams: Scam Alerts
- Monitor your credit for free: Free Credit Reports
- ID Theft: Learn more about how to prevent, report, or rebuild: ID Theft
- Opt-Out: Stop unwanted mail and prepaid offers from showing up in your mailbox: Opt Out
Resources for Businesses
Learn about Corporate Account Takeover and how to prevent it:
- Corporate Account Takeover Resources: Corporate Account Takeover
- Fraud Advisory for Businesses: Business Fraud Advisory
- Ensure that your business, as well as your customer’s personal information, is protected: Cyber Liability Insurance
- Protecting your Small Business from Fraud - VIDEO by Federal Trade Commission: Watch Video
- “Free Resources for Any Business” VIDEO by Federal Trade Commission: Watch Video
Additional Resources for Seniors and Caregivers